It’s common to hear some Leaders complaining about certain Followers in Social Dance!
It has many reasons, and it varies a lot, also the situations change according to each community.
Many times, the Leaders don’t know how to act when they find themselves in situations which the follower is somehow compromising the dance, weather it’s because the follower isn’t really connecting to him, isn’t trying to feel the leading (when the leading is being precisely made, of course) or is anticipating the moves, predicting what the leader wants and ends up taking a wrong decision. Nobody want to sound rude or superior and sometimes, even a gentle feedback can be misunderstood, although sometimes it may be necessary, in order to keep the dance safe! Leaders can also get hurt!
Have you ever had any of these thoughts crossing your mind?
– My goodness! She’s basically doing everything by herself!
– She’s been over styling the whole dance, I can’t build a sequence of movements cos I have to improvise the unexpected everytime!
– I would love to dance with that girl but she seems to be only interested in dancing with the teachers or pros.
– Why does she put head movements in every single turn? I’m afraid of trying some moves and accidentally hurt her.
– I’d love to explore move closed embraced movements but if at least a deodorant had been…
– It would be nice if she held her own body, I’m making a lot of effort to move her.
– Why does she try to correct me all the time during the class? she is as new as I am and we have the teacher to correct us!
Well, here comes your chance to speak up and